Warmer weather is on the way, and that means running season. And CrossFitters are crazy and want to do all the things as hard as they can. Follow these tips to help build you up properly for running so you don’t bash your shins up.
- Not running related, but maintain a healthy body weight. That means dialling in your nutrition.
- Don’t go all out at the start. If you haven’t run since the fall, start with very small, slower runs and gradually build up the distance and intensity.
- Stretch your feet, calves, hamstrings, quads, and hips. Dig in with a lacrosse ball. Grab a foam roller. Book a massage. Just get to work on the tight areas and do it consistently.
- Strengthen your arch. Stand barefoot on a towel and try to bunch it up using only your toes.
- Improve your running technique. I’ve found the best way is to run barefoot, or use minimalist shoes at the start. Modern shoes ‘encourage’ heel striking which can lead to shin splints.
Hope this helps! If you have any questions, let us know!
Power Clean – 15 min to work up to a heavy triple
Max rounds in 3 minutes of:
135 pound Power cleans, 3 reps
Rest 1 minute. Repeat for a total of 5 cycles.
Compare to Aug.24/18