We have a growing list of members in the trophy case that are getting muscle-ups. We have an equally growing list of those that would like to get one. If you’re one of those people, this post is for you.
Many people see a muscle-up and think it looks easy (you were probably watching Joanna). But there are a lot of prerequisites you should have before getting up on the rings.
1) Pullups – You need enough pulling power to get your body on top of the rings. Practice all variations of pullups, with emphasis on chest to bar pullups.
2) Ring dips – Get your bicep below the top of the ring and fully extend at the top. There’s nothing worse that getting on top of the rings, but not being able to press out.
4) Transition – Using a band on a set of lowered rings, sit in it and practice the transition from the pull to the dip. *Note – do not skip steps 1-3. They are just as important as the transition.
5) Jumping muscle-ups – Have the rings set above your head. With legs bent and arms at full extension, jump into the bottom of the muscle-up, while keeping the rings as close to your body as possible. Press out to finish the move.
6) Complete a muscle-up! *Note – If you didn’t, revisit Steps 1-5 daily. Ask a coach to watch you to give additional pointers.